A meme by That’s A Novel Idea
Mr. Linky at Find Your Next Book Here
1 Title: God Never Blinks – 50 Lessons for Life’s Little Detours by Regina Brett
2 Words that describe the book: Life Lessons
3 Settings or characters:
* Regina Brett – Cleveland Plain Dealer columnist.
* Bruce, Brett’s husband
* Brett’s life
4 Things I liked/disliked about the book:
* Brett’s heartfelt sharing of her life experiences is something I could appreciate especially since we share some similarities in upbringing.
* I really liked the audiobook. Her voice is so easy to listen to and her sincerity is apparent.
* I think any reader could relate to Brett’s columns about life’s ups and downs.
* I’m glad I listened to the audiobook. It made a cross-state car trip go by in a snap. That said, I think it may be even more meaningful if listened to one lesson at a time. Each column lends itself to reflection and/or discussion.
5 Stars or less for the rating: 4/5 stars
Thanks to Bonnie at Redlady’s Reading Room for passing her copy to me.
* * * * * * *
Back of audiobook case:
“It took me 40 years to find and hold on to happiness. I always felt that at the moment I was born, God must have blinked. He missed the occasion and never knew I had arrived. . . I ended up confused by the nuns at age 6, a lost soul who drank too much at 16, an unwed mother at 21, a college graduate at 30, a single mother for 18 years, and finally, a wife at 40, married to a man who treated me like a queen. Then I got cancer at 41. It took a year to fight it, then a year to recover from the fight.
When I turned 45, I lay in bed reflecting on all life had taught me. My soul sprang a leak and ideas flowed out. My pen simply caught them and set the words on paper. I typed them up and turned them into a newspaper column of the 45 lessons life taught me.” – Regina Brett, from the Introduction.
She added 5 more lessons when she turned 50.