1. Book title:
Pieces of Sky by Kaki Warner
2. Words that describe the book:
3. Settings or characters:
* Jessica Thornton – a long way from her home in England, she’s seeking a new life and hoping to find her brother.
* Brady Wilkins – a cattle rancher who runs the RosaRojo ranch.
* The New Mexico desert location
4. Things I liked/disliked about the book:
* liked the author’s descriptive writing. I could imagine the gorgeous sunsets and the odors and aromas of the ranch.
* Jessica and Brady are opposites so it was fun to watch the attraction grow. The pace of the story was great.
* I liked that the minor characters (passengers on the stagecoach, for example) didn’t distract from the story. They were a bit over the top but they served a purpose.
* I’ve never read a historical western novel so I wasn’t sure how I’d like it. I really enjoyed it and look forward to the second in the Blood Rose Trilogy.
5. Stars or less: 4.5 stars
Goodreads synopsis (not my review):
On a stagecoach traveling through New Mexico Territory, Jessica Thornton is a long way from the cool mists and lush gardens of her native England. An authoress and milliner, she carries the weight of a scandalous secret-a horrible shame that has brought her to the West on a desperate search for the only family she can trust: her brother.
No one prepared Jessica for the heat and the hardships. And no one prepared her for a man like Brady Wilkins. For, despite the rancher’s rough-hewn appearance and her own misgivings, Jessica must put her life in his hands after their stagecoach crashes. And she begins to see the man behind the callused hands and caustic wit. A man strong enough to carve out a home in the wilderness, brave enough to fight for his own, and passionate enough to restore her faith in herself-and in her heart.