a meme by That’s A Novel Idea
now hosted by Jenners at Find Your Next Book Here
1. Book title:
* McCarthy’s Bar: A Journey Of Discovery In The West Of Ireland by Pete McCarthy
2. Words that describe the book:
* Humorous Nonfiction
3. Settings or characters:
* McCarthy’s Bars (there are many)
* Pete McCarthy
4. Things I liked/disliked about the book:
* It’s funny – I laughed the entire flight home while reading this book
* I’ve travelled the path taken by Pete McCarthy a couple of times (Cork to Donegal along the coast) so I enjoyed reading his experience
* Underneath the hilarity is a deep affection for the Irish
* I liked it so much that it’s on my keeper shelf. I don’t loan it out but I’ve purchased copies for several friends and relatives
5. Stars or less: 4 stars – I thought it was entertaining and very funny. I looked at ratings on Goodreads (click the cover and then click the next cover) and found some reviews agreed with mine and some didn’t.
Click on cover to enlarge
Despite the many exotic places Pete McCarthy has visited, he finds that nowhere else can match the particular magic of Ireland, his mother’s homeland. In McCarthy’s Bar, his journey begins in Cork and continues along the west coast to Donegal in the north. Traveling through spectacular landscapes, but at all times obeying the rule, “never pass a bar that has your name on it,” he encounters McCarthy’s bars up and down the land, meeting fascinating people before pleading to be let out at four o’clock in the morning.
Written by someone who is at once an insider and an outside,McCarthy’s Bar is a wonderfully funny and affectionate portrait of a rapidly changing country.
I purchased my copy and read it several years ago